Maintains public areas in a clean and orderly condition by performing the following essential duties
and responsibilities during scheduled shift (day or night).
Essential Duties & Responsibility
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with the Company’s Safety,
Quality and Environmental standards. In accordance with the Company’s Service and Etiquette
Philosophy program, each employee shall conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner at
all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard
employees, in the presence of guests or in crewmember areas.
1. Each housekeeping shipboard employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed according to standards. This includes a clean uniform, name tag, and any other uniform related item.
2. Operates steam cleaning equipment, scrapers, brooms and variety of hand and power tools. Uses a variety of cleaning agents and chemicals. Mixes water and detergents or acids in container to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
3. Cleans public bathrooms, elevators, offices, corridors, public areas and crew member quarters.
4. Cleans, maintains, and replenishes towels and amenities in the Aqua Spa area including bathroom, lockers, showers, gym area, gym equipment, and reception area if assigned.
5. Cleans carpet, upholstery, floors walls, ceilings, draperies, windows, and room accessories to remove effects of smoke, dust, water and other damages such as dirt, soot, stains, mildew, and excess water and moisture.
6. Sprays or fogs carpet, upholstery, and accessories with fabric conditioners and protectors, deodorizers and disinfectants.
7. Dusts furniture, and washes windows, walls, ceilings, woodwork, and door panels. Polishes brass and other metal fixtures.
8. Notifies management of the malfunction of lighting, heating and ventilation equipment.
9. Maintains cleaning supplies and equipment in good working order. Requisitions supplies and equipment when needed.
10. Maintains current knowledge of the ship’s regular events and special functions by reviewing all available data, (daily newsletter, etc.), in order to provide guests with accurate information to answer questions.
11. Assists the food service personnel in the collection of soiled glasses, china, cutlery, etc. throughout the vessel and transports to designated collection areas.
12. Empties and cleans wastebaskets and ashtrays and transports trash to disposal area.
13. Transports guest’s luggage to assigned areas during embarkation and disembarkation.
14. Handles ship stores on loading days, as scheduled by management and supervisor.
15. Participates in the loading of hotel stores to the central storeroom.
16. Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, in order to assist guests and crew members with inquiries.
17. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
18. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of chemicals, supplies and equipment.
People management responsibilities to ensure optimal performance of the function.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
Minimum one to two years previous cleaning experience, preferably in an upscale hotel, resort or cruise line (shipboard experience preferred).
Knowledge of proper cleaning techniques, requirements and use of equipment.
Knowledge of proper chemical handling.
Ability to apply customer service skills, according to Company policy, when interacting with guests and coworkers.
Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
Completion of one contract with a performance rating of satisfactory or above.
Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The tiny West African nation of The Gambia is referred to as the “Smiling Coast” of West Africa. A small country with about 1.8 million people, the Gambia is indeed Africa’s quiet gem. The country is incredibly diverse, with many ethnicities, languages and cultures.